Thursday, November 13, 2014

A Chi Night Out

"Hi, My name is Kesia King and I'm a Personal Stylist & Hair and Fashion Blogger." Man O Man, I had to practice saying that a couple hundred times in the mirror before I left to make my debut at one of the largest networking events in Chi-City, but believe me I was everything BUT shy!

Tonight I put my fashion foot forward and ultimately decided to leave behind the comfort of corporate jargon and jump into what I thought would be no man's land.  Surprisingly, despite being amongst environmentalist, techies, real estate agents, recruiters and this really cool woman that mixes her love for graphic design with baking, Cake Bite Girl , shockingly almost everyone I talked to had an interest or some type of tie to the fashion industry.

One convo left me very interested in how men approach shopping. Boy did I love the candid nature of these two guys, whom actually entertained my fashion shenanigans! When I asked, how do you determine what you'll wear to work, on a date or just a casual day, the first response was "Whatever's not dirty" Oh Lawd! In my head all I saw was...
 
And then there was Andre....a Financial Servives Professional by day and Chicago DJ by night. It was obvious Andre put some thought into his look.  Rather than come to the event in what I like to call the "work shirt" or button down that comes in a million in one colors, he chose to show some personality while keeping it professional. Gone are the days where every professional has to look, talk and walk alike. Some may argue that one shouldn't choose to stand out amongst the crowd but I tend to believe the quote "your network is your net worth."  Whatever way you can draw positive attention to yourself and expand your circle, the more successful you'll be.  Caring about what you put on to represent yourself is definitely one way to get the job done!

No comments:

Post a Comment